Tuesday 26 March 2013

Central Market Trip



This is my first time visiting Central Market Kuala Lumpur at Pasar Seni. I have to admit that I didn’t put much expectation on this trip since I heard from my friend that this a boring place which sells souvenirs to tourists. Well, I’ve changed my mind after I’ve gone deeper in this market.
Before sharing my experiences, I would like to give a brief introduction of Central Market Kuala Lumpur. Central Market Kuala Lumpur is located at Jalan Hang Kasturi, right opposite Pasar Seni LRT station and just a walking distance away from Petaling Street. What surprised me is this market is like 120 years old!  It was founded in 1888 and originally used as a wet market, while the current building was completed in 1937. It has since been classified as a Heritage Site by the Malaysian Heritage Society and now it is a landmark for Malaysian culture and heritage.
When I was walking in the market, I saw shops selling handicrafts and traditional clothes from multi-ethnicity. There is food court selling Malaysian local food as well. What surprised me is this is not a market selling souvenirs only but a place showing really traditional and local multi-cultural art crafts which even I am not familiar with as a Malaysian. Here are the pictures I took.


There is a busker who has got my attention. What of this street artist attracted me is his architectural drawing while the other buskers here are mainly doing portrait. So I took a step to have a conversation with him. He told me that he has been doing architectural drawing for around 30 years. He said that is his interest which he will never give up. Every day he will come out with at least one work piece. His passion on architectural drawing gains my admiration.
It was quite a good experience visiting Central Market Kuala Lumpur. I have seen not only a lot of art crafts of Malaysia here but also dreams and ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment